Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Book Reviews

I have noticed several author blogs here, on Goodreads, and on Smashwords requesting for people to write book reviews on their books.  I have never written a book review and can't imagine anyone wanting my humble opinion but I would like to help out if possible.  Maybe someone will be kind enough to repay the favor if I can ever get anything down on paper.

Here's the problem...I have no idea what I am doing.  The reviews I have read seem to start with a synopsis close to the one already used on the blurb, then go into what they thought about the book.  Some reviews that I have read have been very generic.  Is there something I am missing?

Do you write book reviews?  Do you follow a special format?  What is your style?  Inquiring minds want to know :)

5 comments:

  1. A guest author I had on my blog recently, gave tips on writing books reviews. http://allonbooks-thekingdomofallon.blogspot.com/2011/12/tips-on-writing-book-reviews.html

    I blog about writing and the publishing industry. So poke around and check out other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Shawn! That was very helpful. I am going to follow you so that I can learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey just wanted to thank you for the follow. I returned the favor.

    I LOVE writing book reviews. I wish I could do it as a living. :P There isn't really a framework I stick to when writing a review, but I always try to cover some basic aspects such as characterization, plot line, writing style etc. Though sometimes, if a book makes me feel a certain emotion very strongly, I can go off on a bit of a tangent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for following me Sam! You have no idea what it means to me. Your are my first follower.
    Since I am new to this, I am open to advice, ideas, etc. I am hoping to do some book reviews after the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do some simple (think star rating and a sentence or two) book reviews on my blog http://mybooktracker.blogspot.com/ I just like to keep track of what I read and what authors I enjoy the most. :) I'm following you!

    ReplyDelete