Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Small town fun

When I was in high school I couldn't wait to move out of town, have my identity and get lost in a crowd.  I grew up in a small town where my dad had taught for over 20 years so everyone knew who he was and in turn knew who I was.  I HATED it!

After living out of state for 10-11 years, I moved back to my hometown to be with my mom who had terminal breast cancer.  I wasn't sure the long term plans when I moved back, but I thought eventually I would move away again.

Here I am 10 years later and I bought a house a year ago that is about half mile from my childhood home, where my dad still lives.  The funny thing is that the town and I have both changed (compromised) and I love it here now.

This weekend is their famous George Washington Fest.  It is the longest running celebration in the country.  There will be fireworks tonight followed my a parade and festival on Saturday.  Music, food, baking contests, eating contests, art booths and everything else you would come to expect from a small Southern town festival.

I am home :)

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Heather. I sometimes feel as though I shouldn't still be living in my home town, but that's exactly what it is - HOME. My Dad is here, my sister, nieces, great nephew, my own kids of course, friends... Our plan is to move away one day and live by the sea in Cornwall, but for now I'm happy here. I live in Britain's oldest recorded town, close to the countryside, not far from the sea - can't complain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever said that you can never go home again just plain wrong! Life is all about changing and living and learning. And the place we once thought was stifling and suffocating some times turns into the most heavenly place on earth :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to your hometown. Have fun at the fest! Longest running in the country - must be good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Saturday!
    I am very new to blogging, just started this week, actually! As a go through the A-Z challenge ( of which I am one) your site jumped out at me.... and I really like it. Your name in particular. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Patricia! I am fairly new to blogging too and this will be my first A - Z challenge. I am looking forward to it. For more, you can check out my guest post on the A-Z site:
      http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/2012/02/teaching-often-makes-you-student.html

      Delete