Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

E is for English horn and Electric bass

I couldn't decide which instrument I wanted to post about today so I am going to be including both:
English horn and Electric bass

The English horn is another double reed instrument found in the woodwind family similar to the bassoon. 

It is thought to have originated in Silesia around 1720.  It is very similar to an oboe (return on the 17th for more), but is longer and has a bell shaped.  The reed is also slightly angled on an English horn.  The fingerings are the same on both instruments but the English horn is a fifth lower.  An F played on an English horn would be the same as a C played on an oboe.




I play the electric bass so I cannot abandon it in today's post.  I started playing electric bass in 9th grade because I wanted to play in the high school jazz band.  I taught myself and I was horrible for the first year until I started getting pointers from friends. 
This carried on to playing in college and tried my hand at the rock band thing for a while but it didn't work out.  The bass was always my "fun" instrument and I had a lot of fun with it.

The electic bass most commonly has 4 strings tuned to E, A, D, and G although some have 5 or 6 strings.  Since my hands are small, 4 strings were enough for me.

One of my favorite bass players was Stu Hamm.  Listen below to see why...

9 comments:

  1. It's a nice combination of instruments. I've been enjoying your theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was trying to work out what an English Horn was - until I realised I know it as the Cor Anglais ;-)

    As for electric bass - my son's a bassist (amongst his other musical accomplishments) and he's owned 4,5 and 6-string instruments before. Currently he has four basses, including a violin-bass (think Paul McCartney) and his favourite Fender, which is his pride and joy.

    You must have heard of Victor Wooten - he's my son's idol-of-the-moment!

    Love the musical theme - I'll be back for more! (with our family's musical history, that's a 'given'!)

    Happy A-Z'ing

    SueH I refuse to go quietly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting read :) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rarely do you hear an instument like the English horn on a solo and it so sweet. I could never play an insturment that required me to blow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the theme you chose and I could never get the hang of the guitar. I do like to watch others play tho.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the English Horn. Wish more people played them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Heather,
    Really sorry that I've only just arrived at your posting in the continuance of the challenge that brings further awareness of the alphabet. Ah yes, English Horn. Evidently the particular horn that starts with the letter "F" is one of the most difficult instruments to play.
    All the best and have fun with the challenge:)
    In kindness, Gary

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was pretty impressive, I liked his rendition of Linus and Lucy, neverheard it done like that before.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    The Funnily Enough

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Stu Hamm song is incredible!!

    ReplyDelete