Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for French horn


I bet you thought I would choose the flute today, didn't you?  Well if I had my choice in 6th grade, I would have.  Instead, my dad basically told me that I was going to play the French horn.  He was a band director and always needed more French horn players in the band.  He thought I would have more opportunities if I chose to play the French horn.  It turned out that he was right.


French horn was my main instrument starting in 6th grade and continuing through college and beyond.  I have had opportunities to travel all over the world in various groups due to my playing and I am so thankful for those experiences.


The French horn is a brass instrument with about 12-13 feet of tubing that ends in a flared bell.  The horn uses rotary valves.  On a single horn, 3 valves are used.  On a double horn, 4 valves are used including one used by the thumb.


This is my favorite piece to play and it was the highlight of my senior recital.  The player here is Barry Tuckwell, formerly the principal player of the London Symphony Orchestra.



  Did you know that Jon Stewart and Ewan McGregor also played the French horn???

8 comments:

  1. It looks like a hard instrument to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played the flute in 8th grade and was very good, first chair. But quit after a year--too "busy." Regret, regret, regret. Love this story about your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like the English horn better:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather - ahh, Dads, funny thing how they seem to know what's best. I remember my Dad having his say in what instruments the four of us played...suffice it to say...not a happy ending - a post worth topic for another day!

    I enjoyed the video too! It would be awesome to see/hear you play!

    Jenny @ Pearson Report
    Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. French Horn. I always thought it was such an interesting instrument. And Ewan McGregor played it? Thats so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from Alex Cavanaugh's place. I'm your newest follower. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter played the French Horn, too. Her Jr. High band director said "it was a G/T kid's instrument" (gifted/talented), so there she was! Interesting years through high school, but she didn't continue in college.

    Waiting to see what the rest of your musical alpha-journey brings us!

    **Katy M
    Recommending YA books beyond the bestsellers at
    http://BooksYALove.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter @BooksYALove

    ReplyDelete