Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Q is for Quinticlave

OK, so we are at the dreaded letter "Q".  Did you have as difficult of time as I did with this letter?  No matter what theme I thought about, the Q was always my problem letter.  It was a stretch but here we go for today.


A Quinticlave is in the Ophicleide family, conical bored, brass keyed bugles.  The Ophicleide was invented in 1817 and was later succeeded by the tuba and euphonium.  The word Ophicleidi is Greek for "serpant" and "keys".

I couldn't find any videos and this is the only picture I could find that might be what it looks like.  This has been a learning experience for me too.  Have you ever heard of a quinticlave???

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that instrument, nor the ophide-what or the euph-huh.

    Can't wait to read what you come up with for X.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of this instrument, but the pic of it also resembles the bugle too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, can't say that I have heard of it.

    Curious looking instrument, isn't it!

    Q- wasn't very difficult for me; I think Z,y and X will be the kickers for me;however, I'm always up for the challenge!

    Your on a roll, Heather; I know you can keep it up! I'm staying tuned!

    http://bettyalark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of a quinticlave. Wonder what they sound like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonder if the name has anything to do with having five valves? Very interesting intstrument.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness! I can't believe you found this instrument! I am so impressed with your dedication - now I have learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete