Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for Lamberg drum

So, as you will see with some letters of this challenge, it was a little difficult to find instruments that started with a few letters.  The "L" was one of these letters.  Of course I could've used Lyre but that seemed so broad so I thought I would go outside the box and choose Lambeg drum.


A Lambeg drum is a large drum used in Northern Ireland by Unionists.  It is beaten with malacca canes.  They are usually carried in parades using a neck harness.


The shell is usually made from oak and the skins are primarily made of goat skin.


Here are some being played



5 comments:

  1. WOW those drums look huge and heavy don't they? Cannot imagine carrying that thru an entire parade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of that one. I wouldn't have thought the letter L would be a hard one but of course I haven't thought about it as far as instruments are concerned! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard of these drums before. Thanks for enlightening me.

    Catch My Words
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoying learning about all these different instruments!

    ReplyDelete