Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

R is for Recorder

I think we have all played a recorder at one time or another.  Elementary music class?  If not, you have been robbed!  It's the single most common and easiest instrument to play.  Try it sometime.


The recorder was popular during Medieval times through the Baroque era.  During its heyday, it was associated with pastoral scenes, miraculous events, funerals and marriages.  It made a revival in the 20th century due to its suitability to be a teaching instrument for younger players.


Recorders are made of either plastic or hard woods and come in a variety of sizes.  They have 7 finger holes to make the pitch and are capable of playing between 2-3 octaves.






6 comments:

  1. I just loved the years I taught recorder. My juniors had a consort of instruments, playing 17th century music - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definately remember the Recorder in 4th grade music class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by from A to Z, and I love your theme! I played recorder in 4th and 5th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just went straight to piano for several years, lol.
    Those flutey, windy sounds can't compare to the tremulous tremors of a stringed instrument... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We played the recorders in primary school too. It was a frightening choir of sound!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I've seen a recorder before. Actually, I had one - never could play it though.

    I love that song and the movie!

    She did a good job!



    http://bettyalark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete