Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

U is for Ukelele

The Ukelele, or Uke, is another instrument that I want to learn how to play


The ukelele was discovered in Hawaii in the 19th century, where the name translates "jumping flea".  It gained popularity in the US in the 20th century and has since been popular all over the world.


It is a member of the guitar family and typically has 4 nylon or gut strings.  They come in 4 different sizes:  soprano, concert, tenor and baritone.  The soprano is known as the "standard" ukelele in Hawaii and was the original size.

Here's Jason Castro playing a Uke on American Idol...

and a little Soul Sister by Train...



12 comments:

  1. Great u word. It's a really beautiful sounding instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just loved George Formby playing it and his happy personality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of him. I will have to check him out

      Delete
  3. Oh I love the ukelele. They give lessons in Waikiki just about everyday, but the actual instruments are expensive little suckers. STill there is nothing that promotes the Aloha lifestyle better than hearing that sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that Idol season. Wonder if Castro is still sporting those dreads? Great instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when Jason was on AI that year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the ukelele sound--it reminds me of Hawaii so it's no surprise it originated there. There was some ukelele music in the movie The Descendents--have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two great examples. I really like the ukelele.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jason Castro- oh yes, who could forget that cutie!

    Ukelele name translates "jumping flea". Now that's interesting!

    I think the word Ukelele is beautiful!

    I have to go back and see Castro again- whooo! Ok, I'm ok now - hahaha!

    Train - I really like that song; definitely remember it!

    Great instrument!!


    Thanks for all the wonderful music, Heather!

    ReplyDelete