Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P is for Piano and Percussion

Here's another letter that I couldn't decide on:  Piano and Percussion

The Piano is the basis of all music.  I'm sure most of you know that piano is played by means of a keyboard.  The sound is made when a felt tipped hammer hits the steel strings when the keyboard is played.
The piano was founded on earlier technical innovations such as the harpsichord and the clavichord.  The modern piano was credited to Bartolomeo Cristofori in Italy.


And Percussion is the heart beat of all music.  The word "percussion" is derived from the Latin words "percussio" translated to beat or strike in a musical sense and the word "percussus" which is a noun meaning "a beating".
Percussion instruments can be classified as making a definite pitch or an indefinite pitch.  An example of a definite pitch would be an instrument such as a timpani or marimba which plays pitched sounds in order to play a melody.


An example of an indefinite pitch is an instrument that produces a sound where no pitch is discernable such as a snare drum or cymbals.

10 comments:

  1. Love the piano and took piano lessons for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the piano! Percussion's not bad either...thank you again for such a wonderful, musical post! Stopping by from the A - Z Challenge: http://lotsofcrochetstitches.blogspot.com/ Best of the day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the piano and anyone who can play one! I've always thought drums and such were under appreciated and very important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son is playing piano right now. I wish I'd had lessons when I was young. I love some of Mozart's piano pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have piano lessons... then I moved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I played piano up until passing grade 2, and then I gave up as I was bored with all the practise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like I have lots of company in saying I took piano lessons as a child but didn't progress too far. My obsession with competitive swimming took over and I didn't have time to practice my piano. I also never learned how to read the bass clef, which made practicing very annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the song "Piano Man." Sometimes I even try singing it at karaoke or family events.

    Lisa
    http://livethemoment09.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The piano is one of my favorites!

    I would have liked to have learned to play it - just never took the time.

    http://bettyalark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete