Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for Oboe

My sister, who is almost 7 years younger than I am, plays the oboe.  Growing up, I got to hear here at ALL levels of her ability.  The oboe is apparently very difficult to play and can be very displeasing to the ear when played incorrectly.  Thank goodness, she got to be pretty good after some practice.


The oboe is another double-reed instrument also in the woodwind family.  Remember the bassoon and the English horn?  Well, the oboe is the baby in the family.


Modern oboes are made of grenadilla, also known as African blackwood.  They have 45 pieces of key work made from nickel silver.

How about a little Super Mario Brothers???

4 comments:

  1. Moring, Heather!

    Now the oboe, I am familar with, however, I didn't know the detail regarding its makeup.

    Still learing!

    A plus for the letter "O"

    Looking forward to the rest of the instrument ensemble!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the oboe alone doesn't have a nice sound, but when added with a few other instruments is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The oboe can definitely sound like a sick camel.

    I'm stopping by from the A to Z Challenge!
    Giggle, Laugh, Cry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realized that the oboe could sound beautiful until I got to college and met my current roommate. She's an oboe performance major and she and the other oboe majors play amazingly! It takes a lot of time and effort to sound good on the oboe and the musician has to learn how to make his or her own reeds. Does your sister make her own reeds?

    ReplyDelete