Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for Violin and Viola

The violin and viola are so closely related that I had to include them both in this post

The violin is the hightest pitched, smallest string instrument of the violin family which also includes the viola, cello and double bass.  It has 4 strings tuned in perfect 5ths. 

The viola is the middle voice between the violin and the cello (refer to my "C" post).  It is usually between 1 and 5 inches longer than the violin.

Music written for the viola is written in alto clef, which is rare.

Both violin and viola are made of wood and played with a bow

Here is a video of both but I would start the video about 35 seconds into it...Adele anyone?


Or a little Charlie Daniels?

12 comments:

  1. I've always been a sucker for the sound of a well-played violin. I fell in love with the Electric Light Orchestra because of the violin incorporated into their rock music! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love violins! I wish I could play! I like your theme too!

    Stopping by from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take Charlie Daniels, please. If I hear 'Rolling in the Deep' one more time, I'll lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm more the Charlie Daniels type but love to hear the violin when played well. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the violin. My daughter took lessons especially when they are playing the piece, Pachelbel's Canon in D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The violin is such a beautiful instrument. Have you ever heard of Lindsey Stirling? She's a fun violinist to watch and listen to. :)

    Sarah @ The Writer's Experiment

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Rolling in the Deep" sure sounds different without Adele. My daughter wants to play the violin next year. Maybe she'll be able to do that in a few years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kindergarteners just had a lesson in music class last week about the violin and the viola and the differences. The beauty of music!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with DL and ELO's violins. They add such soul to a piece of music. My grandma always called them fiddles. It took me a few years to realize a violin was a fiddle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the violin and viola make the most incredible sound! The pitch just seems to penetrate the soul!

    LIke the videos!

    http://bettyalark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the violin, and from the looks of all these comments, I'm not alone! Great choice of instrument!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this violin lessons and hope this topic will help newbie. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete