Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for Mellophone and Mandolin

OK, "M" is another letter that I couldn't choose just one instrument.  I have played the Mellophone and I want to play a Mandolin.

The mellophone is a brass instrument, used to replace the French horn in marching.  It is different from the French horn in that its bell faces the front and it uses piston valves instead of rotary valves.

This video is the Ohio State mellophone section playing Kansas' Carry On My Wayward Son



The mandolin is a string instrument in the lute family.  The soundboard comes in many different shapes but typically the round or teardrop shaped.  Modern mandolins originated from Naples, Italy in the late 18th century.  They have 4 pairs of metal strings.

This is a solo by Chris Thile from the band Nickel Creek

10 comments:

  1. Great picks for today. I don't think I had ever heard of a mellophone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandolins are so pretty. Don't know why we don't hear them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, an instrument I have never heard of before. Good show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I was an orchestra person, I didn't know about the different type of French Horn. Very fascinating.

    Visiting for the A to Z Challenge. We're doing guest post writing tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with either of these two instruments but based on the descriptions and the videos you posted, I think I might like the Mandolin more than that Mellophone.

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    *My Recent A to Z Posts - K is for Karma; L is for Love...*
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of the mandolin. I love the feeling it evokes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Mellophones performing Kansas? I have to check out that video! (I accidentally put this comment in the wrong place the first time.)

    Ellie, who has 3 blogs in the challenge
    Ellie's Blank Book
    Ellie's Couch
    Help Michigan Pets

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both are beautiful instruments--loved hearing the mellophone in my high school marching band! Just dropped by from the AtoZ Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A mandolin always makes me think of exotic locales with a little bit of a nostalgic vibe thrown in. :)

    ReplyDelete