Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Z is for Zummara

A zummara is a double clarinet made from two pipes.  The pipes are made from cane, bird bone or metal played with a single reed each.  There are five or six tone holes in each pipe. 

Zummara, or double clarinets, are primarily played in Middle Eastern music.  There are different versions and names in different countries.  Zummara is the Egyptian name of the instrument.  It is 30-35 centimeters long.  One tube may have 4-6 holes while the other acts as a drone or they could both have holes.  The range is very limited, usually only about a fourth.



That concludes the challenge! We made it!  Thank you to everyone who visited me throughout the month.  It has been fun and I look forward to hearing what else you all have to say in the future.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Heather!

    I really like the top pic; it looks like a tarot card. Boy he is really plying that, Zummara!


    Yes, we made it and it was great! Thanks for being my follower, Heather! I look forward to seeing what surprises you have henceforth!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm delighted to be here on this last day of the Challenge! Lovely post and blog. If you've the time, pop over to my blog. I'm the author of the Bella and Britt series for kids.

    Again, inventive and interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such an informative A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful last posting, have enjoyed all the others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit I don't know a lot of instruments, but I have never heard of zummara until today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely one I've never heard of! It's been so interesting following you through this challenge. We made it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I learned something new! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I played the clarinet in high school. One was enough...double would be twice as frustrating!

    ReplyDelete